MagicDesk / Pixabay
One of the more critical areas for getting to ‘yes’ is in our response style. A response may be an answer to a question, providing insight, or getting to the closing stage of pending business. Our communication affects all stages of the sales cycle and also includes the final stage for getting hired.
- Ask the reason for the inquiry so that you may fully understand and answer.
- Eliminate any sense of blame knowing that no one person knows everything.
- Speak to all learning styles wherever possible.
The way in which we communicate in any situation such as networking, meetings, and online, will affect business development, outcomes, and future sales. Always speak peer to peer rather than coming across as knowing more than the other person.
And when it comes to team morale, coach to lead and encourage versus speaking down to team members. When sales representatives feel respect from management and confident in their ability, their sales performance exceeds expectations. Team morale on a high will reduce the revolving door syndrome and further improve the company bottom-line.
Most everyone experiences frustration in communicating with another. Examination of recent or past experiences will give you a good indication of what not to do yourself. Determine if there are areas in which you may improve. Here are three examples of salespeople erroneously communicating with prospective clients:
- Argue with prospects that their thinking is wrong.
- Competitive conversation with prospects instead of applauding them on their achievements
- Assume too much to try to make a quick sale instead of asking questions for improved understanding
Only after agreements are in process should a salesperson focus on the numbers and how they relate to quota plus potential bonuses. Up until this point, concentrate on gaining an understanding of the client well along with their company, industry, and clientele. The give and take of a friendly conversation while striving to understand the big picture plus the details will lead to far greater possibilities on all levels. Upon seeing a representative work in this manner has clientele impressed.
The reward for communicating in a more thoughtful and relaxed style becomes that of earning a loyal clientele. Your personal brand is held in admiration. The side benefit is reduced stress when having to report expected quota to management. As an entrepreneur, it’s a sigh of relief to be able to pay bills and have money for enjoying the weekend, too.
- Listen and then politely respond.
- Ask questions, listen to answers, and ask to clarify anything not completely understood.
- Treat everyone as an equal.
- Include all insights to narrow down the more pertinent.
- Provide a preliminary proposal as a working document that recaps everything previously shared.
- Make adjustments in the working document with your prospective client.
- Refrain from playing the blame game or pointing fingers.
- Willingly make adjustments to the proposal.
- Agree upon the timeline for getting everything in order.
- Celebrate Success!
Source:: Business 2 Community