Prince Harry Announcing that Donald Trump Is Not Welcome at Royal Wedding Because He’s ‘A Serious Threat to Human Rights’ Is False
By Erica Abbott
Reports that Prince Harry said President Donald Trump is not welcome at the royal wedding next year are false. Rumors that the British royal, who recently announced his engagement to actor Meghan Markle, said Trump was not invited to the spring 2018 wedding stemmed from a viral clickbait headline.
According to PolitiFact, the fake claim originated on Nova Magazine, an entertainment website that publishes satire and clickbait news. The article, which went viral on social media, claimed Prince Harry indicated that Trump would not be at the wedding because he “is a serious threat to human rights.” It purported:
England’s Prince Harry is getting married, to the disappointment of aspiring princesses everywhere, and it’s looking like president Trump will not be on the guest list.Meghan Markle is an American citizen and Donald Trump might expect an invitation to the wedding, expected to take place next spring.
However, Prince Harry is reportedly privately highly critical of Trump, with US Weekly reporting earlier this year that he “is not a fan” of Trump.
The article, however, never makes any mention of the royal’s alleged quote contained in the headline. Why? Because Prince Harry never actually said it. The report itself acknowledges that an unnamed, “close source” told Us Weekly in February that the royal thinks Trump is a threat to human rights, but there’s no evidence that Harry himself said or believes it as the title implies.
While a number of outlets have speculated over a potential invitation to the president (and former President Barack Obama), including a Newsweek article that the clickbait report cites, the guest list has not yet been confirmed. The couple announced their engagement just days ago and one of the only details that has been released by the royal family so far is that the wedding will take place at Windsor Castle in May 2018.
Congratulations Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle on their engagement!
His Royal Highness and Ms. Markle this afternoon visited Kensington Palace’s Sunken Garden for a photocall to mark the happy news. pic.twitter.com/gEctA368ua
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Newsweek reports that if Trump were to be invited, it would not only lead to additional security costs, but also the possibility of protests. “When Prime Minister Theresa May offered Trump a state visit early this year, polls showed that 2 million people intended to take part in a protest against him. The risk of embarrassment, were such a protest to occur at a royal wedding, might put the couple off inviting such a controversial figure.” (This section of the report was also used in the clickbait report but, again, does not indicate whether Trump will receive an invitation). Additionally, the “Suits” star has criticized Trump in the past—making it all the more unlikely that the U.S. president will receive an invitation.
Source:: Business 2 Community