You never change your life until you step out of your comfort zone;
change begins at the end of your comfort zone.
Roy T. Bennett
We have all been told many times that we must go beyond our comfort zones if we want to accomplish anything worthwhile. You have probably noticed that this journey can be a little intimidating. There are, however, many ways in which we can expand our comfort zones gently. It doesn’t matter how you get there, as long as you complete the journey.
Strategies to Expand our comfort zone and our lives:
1. Begin small.
- It is the huge changes that tend to stimulate our feelings of fear and discomfort.
- The thought of doing 50 pushups for the first time in five years can be disheartening.
- The thought of doing one is much less of a problem.
- Create little changes and then increase those changes over time.
- This is one technique to keep discomfort at bay.
2. Try eating something new.
- Most of us are a little hesitant to try a new food, but this is a non-threatening way to stretch your comfort zone.
- Try a new restaurant or a new fruit from the grocery store.
- Read something completely different than your usual fare.
- For instance, if you are a Christian, a book on the Muslim faith might shake your thinking up a bit.
- Read something you would ordinarily never read.
4. Unplug for a full day.
- Turn off your phone, the internet, and the television.
- This will be more uncomfortable than you think.
5. Sit somewhere new.
- Try sitting on the couch instead of your favorite chair.
- Choose a different seat at the lunch or dinner table.
6. Speak to a stranger, or to someone you do not know well.
- It does not have to be a twenty-minute discussion.
- If you can maintain a conversation for 30 seconds, consider yourself successful.
- There are plenty of people in the world available for practice.
7. Apply for a new job that is a step up from your current position.
- You might feel like a bit of an imposter, but this is okay.
- Worst case scenario:
- You might get the position and a new career.
- Your bank account might even benefit.
8. Phone old friends.
- Call someone you haven’t spoken to for at least six months.
- Just pick up the phone and do it.
- You will feel great about it afterward.
- If you have never traveled outside of your home country, you will be in for quite a shock.
- The food, people, and culture can all be different.
- Apply for a passport and consider where you would like to visit.
10. Sit alone, in silence.
- This may be tougher than you think.
- Turn off all of your devices and just sit alone with yourself.
- Avoid allowing yourself to daydream.
- Just stay with yourself for at least 30 minutes.
Expanding your comfort zone opens up many new and exciting possibilities.
Think about how different your life would be if your comfort zone were larger.
It is possible to make change without a great deal of pain.
Stretch your comfort zone, and yourself, a little each day.
Source:: Business 2 Community