Editor’s Note: Joydeep Bhattacharya is a digital marketing evangelist who writes for SEO Sandwitch. Today he joins us to discuss digital goods, and how to sell them online.
Selling digital goods was once a complicated venture, but over the years and with the introduction of numerous online services and tools, it is now much simpler.
Digital products are informational in nature. They may exist in many formats, including eBooks, audio or video courses, bulletins, programming and access to membership sites.
7 unique aspects of marketing digital goods
- The target audience for digital goods is unique. Your customer base stands to be benefited by your product, but may not be aware of its existence precisely because it did not exist before.
- It follows that product discovery is often not accompanied by a desire to purchase; this makes your marketing message highly important.
- Price is less of an issue because it costs less (or even nothing) to create copies of digital content for the maker.
- Mechanism of sale is very different from traditional or online commerce; whereas physical goods may be sold in online stores, digital goods often require an individual landing + sales page. This is especially well for one-off items like e-books.
- There are also specialized selling platforms for digital products, and some will be reviewed in this article.
- ‘Packaging’ heavily influences the sale of a digital product. The way you design your landing page, cover art, etc. will influence the initial interest it generates among audiences.
- Digital goods often come with additional bonuses that raise the perceived value of the purchase for the audience.
These core differences in the nature of e-commerce of digital and physical goods change the game for marketers. Read on to learn how you can formulate and execute a better plan for selling digital goods –
Selling Your Products Directly
E-junkie is a very simple marketplace that uses HTML codes to generate great product pages for your digital goods. It’s a great and easy choice for beginners: simply create an account on the E-junkie website, list your item and install the code on your site.
Once you get started, you’ll be able to manage a lot of different options including inventory management, affiliate management, Google Analytics tracking, and more.
An advantage to E-junkie that sets it apart from other options is that you will not be charged a percentage or portion of your sales. Rather, you’ll have flat monthly subscription fee which starts from $5/month.
There are many services similar to E-junkie if the format works well for you: others include Easy Digital Downloads, SendOwl, Gumroad and Sellfy.
It’s impossible to mention digital goods without discussing PayPal. PayPal has been a staple of digital commerce for many years, especially because of its strong protection policies that prevent sellers and buyers from being scammed. has always put their efforts in protecting buyers and sellers from all kind of scam. You can integrate PayPal into a WordPress website and use it to sell digital goods with a simple plugin.
The WordPress PayPal Shopping cart Go to the full article.
Source:: Online Marketing Institute