By Gary Katz
What is a Marketing Operations mindset? I made a commitment to share 50 reasons, over Twitter, to embrace Marketing Operations; one tweet per day over the next 50 days. This shaped my thinking for what I now call Marketing Operations 2.0, and led to the development of the course I now teach for UC Extension and my own company. I added a couple of new reasons and organized the list into four topical categories: enterprise transformation, marketing accountability, marketing efficiency and effectiveness, and marketing transformation. Enjoy!
- A generator of generative learning. Marketing Operations = greater capacity to create the future & reinvent Marketing from within.
- Align the yin to Web 2.0’s yang. Marketing Operations provides infrastructure, knowledge sharing, transparency from the inside out, complementing Social Media’s outside-in approach.
- Competitive advantage. Organizations committed to Marketing Operations out-perform the competition in efficiency, effectiveness.
- Customer-centricity. Mobilizing behind the customer requires cross-functional alignment & collaboration. Marketing Operations drives this effort.
- Early warning. Competitive, market dynamics can be opportunities or landmines. Marketing Operations tracks leading indicators to manage turbulence.
- Enterprise health. Like a good circulatory system, MO enables blood flow between Marketing & other groups.
- Greater shareholder equity. Alignment of data, forecasts & metrics leads to more predictable results.
- Live the brand. Narrow the gap between your marketing messages and your enterprise’s actual performance.
- M & A integration. Large orgs combining = disparate systems + information silos + competing cultures. Marketing Operations enables 1+1 = 3.
- Robust institutional memory. Scattered memory = wasted investment. Marketing Operations = documented, shared knowledge.
- Scalable marketing. Organizations over-relying on individual heroics waste resources, burn out people, don’t learn from experience.
- Smarter decision-making. The right data + process + technology = maximum learning IQ = breakthrough results.
- Superior customer experience. Marketing Operations aligns touch points so actual experience resonates with brand promise.
- Sustainable market leadership. Marketing Operations provokes continuous innovation through business intelligence, voice of the customer, process, company-wide involvement.
- Sustainability. A Marketing Operations approach (solid foundation, conscious stewardship) is built to last.
- Better corporate citizenship. Marketing Operations owns marketing performance, accountability, compliance (including sustainability).
- Compliance leadership. Laggards no more, Marketing Operations helps Marketing set quality/performance standards in the enterprise.
- Credible dashboards. Garbage in. G.arbage out. A nifty looking dashboard is useless if its output is questionable or non-actionable.
- Fiscal responsibility. Use it or lose it = misuse it and lose it anyway. Marketing Operations delivers budget management discipline.
- Investment insurance. Marketing is a top organizational spender. A big budget without operations to monitor effectiveness is fiscally negligent.
- Marketing strategy = Enterprise strategy. Marketing Operations is key to aligning Marketing to enterprise strategic objectives.
- Meaningful metrics. Marketing dashboards are useless without a Marketing Operations focus to determine what & why to measure.
- Metrics granularity. Measurable data has grown 10x since 2000. It takes a genius to manage this information explosion. Marketing Operations is a great home for such talent.
- Quality quant-ing. Analytics should not become anal-ytics. Marketing Operations keeps the focus on stats that matter.
- Resource justification. Demonstrate the value of your programs and people; protect them from being axed in tough times.
- Risk/contingency management. Marketing decisions can create exposure. Marketing Operations owns Go to the full article.
Source:: Business 2 Community