By Alex Jasin
It goes without saying that getting something published on a big site like Entrepreneur can be massive for your brand and business.
It can open doors you didn’t know previously existed, boost your brand awareness and give you some serious SEO traction.
But how do you make that happen? What steps should you follow?
It’s not a short process, but it does work.
Here is an infographic I created that summarizes this process for the visual learners:
1. Have a track record
One of the first things editors are going to look at is whether you can actually write. They receive literally hundreds of submissions and most of them are from rubbish writers. If you want to get their attention, they need to know that you’re a good writer.
How exactly can you do that? By showing off your track record.
Have you written for any well-established publications already? Ideally, they will be related to the niche you’re pitching. If you’re pitching to Shopify, for instance, it helps to demonstrate that you’ve written about website builders and eCommerce before.
Even if you haven’t written for any major websites, make sure your pitch includes a list of your qualifications and links to any content you have had published online. I’d recommend having at least 3-5 strong published posts before pitching to a large website.
If you have absolutely nothing published online, don’t despair! You have two options:
- Bring other value to the pitch. This might be social share numbers, hard-to-get interviews that you can obtain or industry connections you have. Don’t pitch just for the sake of pitching. If you can’t show a valuable track record, then quickly explain your history, and how your perspective and experience means you can add value to the publication’s audience.
- Start your own blog. If you don’t have any live posts anywhere, you’re going to need to create a website and start publishing some high-quality pieces. Then pitch to smaller sites with the pieces you’ve written on your blog to showcase your ability. After you’ve guest posted on smaller sites, you can climb the ladder higher to bigger sites like Entrepreneur.
2. Build strong relationships
It can dramatically increase your odds of getting published on a popular website if you cultivate relationships with their editors or contributors.
How do you build relationships? Here are a few simple ways:
- Engage with them on social media
- Repost their top social media content
- Comment on their blog posts
- Backlink to them in your blog posts
- Genuinely read their content
The goal is to make them aware of who you are and establish yourself in their circle of contacts. Building trust is key here.
After using the above tactics for a while, consider reaching Go to the full article.
Source:: Jeff Bullas Blog